Client Type: University
Contractor: Charles Lawrence Sports Surfaces Ltd
Overall Budget: £550k
Funder: De Montfort University
- Construction of an artificial football pitch for use by the University and Beaumont Town FC
- Improve sports surface provision for the University and the football club
Key Technical Issues:
- The existing natural turf football pitch was constructed over the site of a historic landfill.
- To design a pitch to conform to FA guidelines, the design would need to include cut & fill.
- There were restrictions on the allowable drainage outflow from the proposed new pitch.
- There was a requirement to provide formal spectator areas.
- To minimise cut & fill, the pitch was partially built above the existing levels.
- A 0.2% fall (corner to corner) was included in the design to reduce the need for excavation of deep collector drains in to the landfill clay cap.
- A swale was designed to act as a hydrobrake to reduce the rate of drainage outflow.
- The design included a bespoke spectator stand.
- The construction of the 3G pitch was completed in December 2015.
“TGMS were appointed by De Montfort University at the commencement of the project and following an initial Feasibility Study provided clear and concise guidance over the options to the Client in respect to the formation of both the Artificial and Natural Turf works. TGMS were retained throughout the build process and have provided important technical knowledge to the Client and Project Manager to ensure the successful delivery of the scheme. We would not hesitate to recommend them for future projects”
– Neil Loxton, Concept Project Management