Project Name: Construction of two natural turf full size football pitches
Client: De Montfort University
Client Type: University
Contractor: Souters Sports Ltd
Overall Budget: £150k
Funder: De Montfort University
- Construction of two natural turf full size football pitches for use by the University and Beaumont Town FC.
- To improve sports surface provision for the University and the football club.
- To improve the league status of Beaumont Town FC in entering into the football pyramid.
- To enhance spectator enjoyment.
- To provide good quality natural turf pitches for use, capable of supporting football to a semi-professional standard.
Key Technical Issues
- The proposed development area currently sits over an historic landfill site.
- To design a pitch to conform to FA/Sport England guidelines, the design would need to include topsoil importation.
- There were significant wooded/hedged areas which required removing in order to accommodate the pitches within the development area.
- There were restrictions on the allowable drainage outflow from the proposed new pitch.
- There was a requirement to provide formal spectator areas.
- There were restrictions as to the allowable lux levels from the floodlight infrastructure due to the indigenous species (bats) on site.
- Pitch levels were raised through topsoil importation to mitigate drainage trenching to depths below landfill levels.
- Engagement of an arboricultural consultant to provide advice as to best practice in the removal of trees/vegetation.
- The drainage scheme was designed to reduce flow to match discharge guidelines as specified by the local authority, this included the use of orifice plates, hydro breaks and changes in pipe size, all of which contributed to discharging planning conditions.
- The design included spectator fencing surrounding both pitches, a full floodlighting scheme and 2 spectator stands (one standing and one all seating).
- Redesign of the floodlight scheme, including cowlings and hoods within the floodlight infrastructure to mitigate light pollution.
- The construction of both natural turf pitches was completed in September 2016.
“TGMS were appointed by De Montfort University at the commencement of the project and following an initial Feasibility Study provided clear and concise guidance over the options to the Client in respect to the formation of both the Artificial and Natural Turf works. TGMS were retained throughout the build process and have provided important technical knowledge to the Client and Project Manager to ensure the successful delivery of the scheme. We would not hesitate to recommend them for future projects” – Neil Loxton – Concept Project Management